The first sawmill on Grand Mesa was opened in 1909 by Orlin Kitch. He came from Nebraska with his wife in 1905.
For eight years Kitch operated a sawmill located just above the Kiser Reservoir. He and his cousin, Jim Trine of Ohio, were partners in the business.
After the mill was established, they opened the first lumber yard in Cedaredge. In addition to these enterprises, Kitch also ran the first bus line from Cedaredge to Grand Mesa.
The lumber yard was sold to Ambrose Krughman in 1918. Bob James was associated with the business at that time and many of the Cedaredge buildings in use today were built during the years from 1918-1933.
Since the first sawmill was established there have been several others in addition to the one adjoining the lumber company on the mesa and south of Cedaredge.
In the early 1940’s Lowell Richard operated a mill near his home above Cedaredge. This was sold to the present owners, Floyd Frost and sons.
For the past 10 years Lloyd Mahanna has operated a sawmill two miles north of town on Surface Creek.
Also operating a mill about five miles northwest of town in the Coalby Valley since 1945 are Archie Peterson and his brother, Oran. The Peterson mill makes lumber drop siding, ship lap and logs, and is the only mill in Delta County that makes log siding.
Delta County Independent