Eckert’s first post office was located in a store operated by Dell States, the first postmistress, October 27, 1891.
The late Charles States of Cedaredge was the first mail carrier in the history of the Eckert post office. His wife, before her marriage, was Elizabeth Eckert. This was the family for which Eckert was named, according to Mrs. Dell States.
A Mrs. Chambers is listed as the next postmaster, and the office was moved to her home, the second house below the creamery build.
When the post office was again located in the store, King and Reynolds were the postal employees.
Other postmasters were Elias Wenger until 1928 when the postal department was in the telephone office building; Mrs. Echo Smith Burritt, 1918 to 1923; and Wenger, who took the job a second time and retired in 1940.
The present postmaster, Mrs. George Jones, succeeded Wenger.
In 1940 the Eckert post office was rated fourth class and today is listed as third class.
Delta County Independent