Wilson and Anna Stockham purchased Lot 11 of Block 15 (the current location of the Tara’s Store), then a vacant lot, on September 27, 1894, from Hattie Kennedy. A building of wood frame/brick construction was started almost immediately and completed in early March, 1895. The building was 25 feet wide and 125 feet deep. Sometime around January, 1905, the north wall of the building was moved 3 ½ feet to the north (reason unknown), referred to in subsequent deeds as the South 3 ½ feet of Lot 10. For the past 100 years, the building frame has remained the same.
Albert H. and Wilson B. Stockham were known then as the Stockham Brother – builders. They built and financed several buildings in the 300 block of Delta’s Main Street. The east side of the 300 block was known as the Stockham Block. In the early 1900’s, the Stockhams were also part owners of the Bar-I Ranch in Cedaredge, and were the original developers of the orchards on Antelope Hill, above Harts Basin and the Fruit Growers Reservoir in Orchard City.
When W.B. Stockham finished his building, he partnered with his brother Albert H. Stockham and John E. Hillman, then a jeweler in Delta, and the three of them opened a dry-goods business called Stockham & Hillman Com. They specialized in clothing and household goods. In January, 1905, W.B. and A. H. Stockham sold their share to the business to J. E. Hillman, and Hillman became sole owner of the business. The Stockhams retained ownership of the building. In September, 1906, Hillman began construction of a new building at the corner of Forth and Main. It was almost a year in construction. On February 1, 1907, Caleb B. Elliott purchased the Lot 11 building owned by Stockham (and occupied by Hillman). When Hillman moved to his new store in September, 1907, the Remington-Elliot Shoe and Clothing Company moved in. The Remington-Elliott partnership had been in business early 1901. Remington and Elliott sold men’s furnishing and shoes. In 1928, Remington bought the building and Elliott’s interest in the business, and the name was changed to Remington’s Store. Remington continued to operate the business until early 1941, when he sold the store and business to brothers Orville and Albert Swaim. The store continued to be named Remington’s Store. Finally, on October 7, 1983, Lowell and Sandra Tarr purchased the building, and the firm of Remington’s Clothing Inc., went out of business. Under Tarr’s Ownership, the retail aspect of the business shifted to women’s clothing and furnishings, and the store was named Tara’s. (In remains in business today).
In December, 2004, Delta’s Historic Preservation Board approved an application to place this historic building on the local historic register.
Director, Delta County Historical Society and Museum